Monday, October 30, 2006

Building Supporting Research


New BNL Building
Originally uploaded by entropybound.
When I first arrived at BNL in the late 1990's I was in some awe of the place, but I was always a little let-down by how run-down many of the buildings were. I appreciate that scientists are practical people, so if the building still stands and people are getting work done, then why worry? But I also am somewhat of a stickler for a well-thought-out environment and so it's nice to see refreshes of ones surroundings here and there. And BNL hasn't really had one since the 1970's as far as I can tell, most of the main office buildings being built between the 40's and 60's (including Chemistry, where I still work for the moment).

Anyway, all of this is to express my appreciation to the DOE for funding a spanking-new addition to BNL architecture (a long neglected field of study): the Research Support Building. This lab is going to be around for quite a while yet, and it deserves structures that send out that message (the nanoscience building is next...).

Only one thing missing: the smell of freshly-brewed coffee in the atrium. Hopefully more on that some other time.

No comments: